The Ultimate Blogging Checklist To Set-up Your Site From Start To Finish
So you're a blogger. You're passionate about telling stories and sharing ideas with the online world, but the question is, are you doing it right?
If you're serious about blogging and you want to be recognized for what you do best, here's your ultimate blogging checklist!
I'll teach you everything I've learned about building an effective blog - in my own simplified version!
Remember, you should not only polish your site for the search engines, but for people as well. I'll also include tools and resources that can help you grow your site.
I tried my best to make this as short as possible so hopefully you find every tip useful.
Okay, let's get started!
Want to learn how to start your own blog? click here for an easy step by step guide.
Let's Set-up Your Site Now. Here's how:
- Select a reliable web host.
- Set your preferred domain. It’s either www or non www. You can’t have both.
- Shorten your post URL – long URLs aren’t good for SEO.
- Make your content URLs search-friendly.
- Keyword-optimized your post, but don’t overdo.
- Use ALT tags to images.
- Use short, descriptive and unique meta title (max 65 characters) & meta description (max 155 characters) for each page.
- Blog about something you’re comfortable writing about.
- Explore different niches and choose one that's best for you.
- Focus on your website development.
- Focus on your blog.
- Be consistent. Schedule your blog posts.
- Check out other site and blogs.
- Take time to explore. Learn something new.
- Choose a theme that best suits your brand/personality.
- Set-up a responsive site.
- Make sure it's mobile friendly (most readers have a mobile device}
- Organize your site and make sure it's user friendly and has superb navigation.
- Choose the right color for your brand. Search for inspirations.
- Make sure that you have a search box.
- You may or may not use the Display related posts at the bottom your blog posts.
- Display your most popular posts on your sidebar.
- Review how your blog looks like in other browsers.
- Have an optimized custom 404 page.
- Use Disqus as your commenting system.
- Always Validate your site.
- Write blog content that gives value to your audience
- Use Copyscape to check out duplicate content.
- Creater killer headlines.
- Use keywords to your post title < h1 >.
- Use an easy to ready font.
- Keep your paragraphs short.
- The use of whitespace makes your post easier to read.
- Use headings and sub-headings (H1, H2, H3)
- Use lists to break up content and to make your post scannable.
- Use images and/or videos on your blog! Don’t be boriiiingg.
- Add your category.
- Add 3-4 relevant tags.
- Use simple words. Avoid jargons.
- Provide freebies. Who doesn’t free stuffs anyway?
- Offer some interaction: surveys, polls, contest.
- Use CTA (Call To Action). Put some wordings or line of text (within your content) that urge your readers to take an action. Remember those social media posts with "Like and share if you agree!"? You would want to do the same on your blog posts. You can either add a question below your content that will encourage them to leave a comment or ask your users to share your content around if they find it useful.
- Add an e-signature (awesome way to personalize your content!).
- Proofread. Use spellchecker.
- Review the blogposts for quality and value
- Include related internal links on your content.
- Install Google Analytics to track your visitors, most-used keywords, pages, etc.
- Review your link count in each page. Should be less than 100.
- Speed up your site. Load times should be less than 2 seconds.
- Let people follow you. Integrate your social media accounts to your site.
- Share your articles to social media networks right after posting. Use #hashtags when applicable.
- Find the best time to post to social media. Track and experiment.
- Include social media “sharing buttons”. Let your readers spread the word for you! I use SumoMe's sharing buttons.
- Put an email newsletter form to your site. I recommend Getresponse.
- Check your competitors and see how they promote their blog.
- Respond to your readers. Answer comments and emails.
- Create your Gravatar account.
- Participate in a conversation on Twitter using this hashtag: #blogchat.
- Join in LinkedIn Groups.
- Join Facebook Groups.
- Activate Google+ Groups that are related to your site. Share insights and useful stuff.
- Set-up your Instagram Account.
- Set-up your Pinterest Account (this is a Search Engine)
- Set-up your Twitter Account
- Or you create your own group on social media sites and invite people to participate.
- Take time to read your favorite/competitors’ blogs and interact.
- Share useful and relevant posts from other blogs. People will love you for that!
- Guest blog to quality sites.
- Join forum sites related to your niche, and/or install a forum on your site.
- Constantly review your site and reconstruct if needed.